How To Register as a Teacher in Hong Kong

How To Register as a Teacher in Hong Kong

To register as a teacher in Hong Kong, you will have to cross paths with the EDB. The EDB is the Education Bureau and is responsible for Hong Kong’s educations policies and not bureaucratic at all…

Why Would You Even Want to Register as a Teacher, Anyway?

In general, entry-level jobs require that you have a degree (in any field) and a TEFL/TESOL. These are minimum requirements but what happens if you want to stretch beyond that? You could take a course like the PGDE I did at the University of Hong Kong. It might be worth it if your degree isn’t education related. You need an education-related qualification to be able to register as a teacher in Hong Kong. You might have a non-local qualification that will allow you to register as a teacher. Take a look here to get an idea of what non-local qualifications get you a pass. Once you register as a teacher, you will have access to much better jobs!

What Do You Need to Register as a Teacher in Hong Kong?

Let’s start by looking at what the EDB has to say about registering as a teacher. There are two types:

  1. A permitted teacher- This is for people holding academic qualifications (no teacher training or qualification)

  2. A registered teacher- A person who holds teaching qualifications and is a hong kong permanent resident (don’t worry, if you have a work visa, you’re fine)

We want to go with the second option, so you’ll need form 8. Here’s what we need to complete the form. (I’m listing them in the order they appear.) Oh, and it’s super important that you read the accompanying notes that come with this form. (more on that later)

  1. Copy of your Hong Kong ID card/work visa- This one should be easy. If you are on your way to Hong Kong, you will probably have to do the registration when you arrive here.

  2. Copies of relevant academic certificates (Degree/Masters) and professional qualifications certificates (PGDE or equivalent) If any of these are non-local, you will have to register with the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) and have your qualifications assessed.

Luckily, my PGDE was local, so I only had to acquire my transcripts and a testimonial. My degree was non-local, so I had to send that to the HKCAAVQ. They need to come up with a better acronym!



The HKCAAVQ has a handy guide for applying. It cost me HK$ 2,900 to get my degree assessed. Once completed, you’ll have to go there in person to pick it up. I recommend you download CityMapper (you could also use Google Maps) for a route there. It’s in Chai Wan which can be a trek if you live in Kowloon or the New Territories. We have everything we need!

Tips for Filling Out the Teacher Registration Form (Form 8)

If you live in the Kowloon area, you can submit your form in person rather then sending it by registered mail. I went there and paid them a visit. The place is in San Po Kong which currently has no MTR station. Again, Citymapper/Google Maps is your friend! Once you get to San Po Kong, you will need to find Mikiki.

Inside there is a footbridge that connects Mikiki to the Trade and Industry Tower where the EDB reside.

Inside there is a footbridge that connects Mikiki to the Trade and Industry Tower where the EDB reside.


You remember I said earlier that you need to pay careful attention to the notes that come with form 8? Well, here’s why. When you make copies of all of your certificates, you will need your employer to do the following:

  1. Sign the copies against the words “seen original”.

  2. Write the school’s supervisor/principal’s name and post.

  3. School name (or chop). I suggest you get the schools chop.

  4. The date that your principal/supervisor saw the original documents.

Last note on your copies. Make sure they are as close to the originals as possible. If one is slightly cut off, they will ask you to copy them again. I made the mistake of missing this, so I had to nip back to school and ask my principal nicely to help sign them.

-On the last sheet of the form, there are three blank address spaces, and yes, you need to fill them all out.

-In the character reference section, if your character reference has a Chinese name, make sure you also include that with the English name.

Now you should have everything in order. Once that’s done, you’re good to submit it. Typically, it takes them about a month to look through it. If there aren’t any issues with what you’ve submitted, you will receive your certificate in the post by registered mail. I’m eagerly awaiting mine. I will update this article when I receive it!

Thanks for reading this article. Did you find this article helpful? Please let me know. It would be great to hear how you got on with the EDB. Did you have any trouble when submitting anything? Was it a smooth experience? You can always contact me by email at and don’t forget to scroll to the bottom and sign up for our newsletter!

Resources for Speaking Cantonese

Resources for Speaking Cantonese

How to Survive a Part-Time PGDE @HKU

How to Survive a Part-Time PGDE @HKU